My least favorite part of being pregnant is the glucose test around 7 months. Aside from the fact that the glucola they make you drink for the test is way too sweet and gross for my taste buds, I never thought much about it before--probably because I never had any problems with it. Well, this time, I flunked it. Apparently, the cut off is 140 and my results came in at 143. Let's just say, this was not what I wanted to hear from my doctor first thing this last Monday when I got into work. And having to watch every bite that went into my mouth last week did not make me happy. The happy week culminated in a 3-hour test all Thursday morning.
The fun began last night when I had to fast after midnight--it didn't help that I was actually AWAKE at midnight and starving since we had dinner at 6:30 p.m. and I didn't realize I was hungry until like 11:45 p.m. They did say that I could drink a little water just so I didn't get dehydrated. I mean, what fun is going in to get your blood drawn when you're so dehydrated your veins all collapse, right?? They basically draw your blood before the test, then make you drink something that is akin to corn syrup (I mean, you know it's pretty gross when the "drink" clings to the sides of the bottle like corn syrup, right?) Then for 3 hours, on the hour, they drew your blood. My good vein in my left arm gave out after 2 draws. Then they found 2 on the SIDES of my right arm and squeezed out 2 more vials. By the time I had my last draw, I was bandaid-ed up on both arms, starving, shaking from hunger, and tired of the waiting area in my doctor's office. Good times.
My arms now resemble that of junkies you see on TV. Red marks where the needles went in and all black and blue around the needle marks. Good thing the weather is still chilly here and I'm not tempted to run around in short-sleeved shirts quite yet.
Anyway, my doctor called me Thursday night and told me that I had passed the test and do not have gestational diabetes. She said she didn't expect me to have any problems, but that something like 1 out of 10 women will get a false positive on the 1-hour screen. Nice. Anyway, one of the possible results of gestational diabetes is a overweight baby. My babies tend to be jumbo-trons anyway all on their own, so it's good that they don't have any help.
That all said, I feel like dessert.
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No fun! But I'm glad you got a good result the second time around. Congratulations on the bun in the oven, by the way, we're so happy for you!
Phew! I was nervous for you for a sec. Seriously, that would be so hard trying to restrict a pregnant woman's sugar intake. My babies are huge too and everyone kept asking me if I had G.D. in the hospital after Max. Noo, he's just huge! Congrats on baby #3.
Post a Comment