I realized while my mom was here that she and I are more alike than either one of us would admit. We're both a little stubborn and tempermental at times, and at the end of the day, I wish I could do everything as well as she does.
My dad was able to take a week off from work and he drove up last Saturday. He helped out with picking up the kids from camp and he did a lot of holding with Naomi and Emma while my sister was here. Babies love my dad -- he has an amazing ability to calm them down and get them to sleep. And he's always happy to just hold them, too. See the exercise ball in the picture above that my mom's sitting on? Well, we learned early on that Naomi, then Emma, both liked to be bounced on the ball. So whenever the babies got fussy, my parents wrapped them up in a blanket and then bounced and bounced. And bounced.
And last Sunday, Melanie and the kids came over for dinner and it was the first time in a long time that all the grandkids in the family--all 8 of them--were together with my parents at the same time. Nicole, the oldest, is on her way to BYU Idaho today and in another few weeks, the rest of Puyol and Melanie's kids will be back in Shanghai. As we have gotten older and more spread out, it has become harder to get together, although we try to get together for family events whenever we can. We'll see almost everyone again for Naomi's blessing in August, so we're excited for that.
Anyway, I am grateful for my parents and for all that they do for us. The funny thing is that no matter how much they do, they always feel like they don't do enough. Maybe I don't show enough gratitude. One day, I got all annoyed with my mom because she didn't think I was eating enough and reminded me I needed to eat so I can take care of Naomi. For some reason, this made me mad and I sort of snapped at her. Later, when I went to apologize, she reminded me that as much as I love Nicholas, Sophia, and Naomi, she loves me as much because I am her Naomi. It sort of put things in perspective for me. I can only hope to do as much for my children and be as good to them as my parents have for me.
1 comments:
That is the sweetest thing that your mom said to you! Moms are amazing.
Post a Comment