Saturday, December 13, 2008

it's a jolly holiday with gnomers

Saturday, December 13, 2008
It's hard to believe that Naomi is almost 6 months old. In fact, she'll be 6 months on Christmas. The past several weeks have been a little crazy with her. The Sunday before Thanksgiving, she started pooping a LOT. I mean, between Sunday during church until Tuesday morning, I think she pooped about 30 times. I'll spare you the details of the poops, but it was enough to call the pediatrician. Since we were going out of town, we decided to take her in to get checked out. Well, they think that Naomi may have a milk protein allergy...except none of the other kids had any allergies. Or they think Naomi may have something viral...except no one else in the family is going to the bathroom quite as frequently as she is. So we wait. If it's the former, I go off dairy (goodbye milk, butter, yogurt, ice cream, chocolate...everything made with milk or milk products) and see if that helps (although it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the protein to clear my system). Or wean her and feed her hypoallergenic formula (which I hear smells and tastes badly). But I'm not quite ready to wean her. Besides, once I go back to work next month, she'll end up weaning soon enough since I won't be able to keep up with her. And it worries me about having to be super careful about what she eats and keeping her safe from certain foods for several years until it (hopefully) resolves itself. If it's the latter, the hope is that it'll work itself out and her poops will go back to normal (in substance and frequency). I know, more than you care to know about someone else's poops, right? But I have no hesitation to talk and write about poops these days -- we have singlehandedly kept Pampers and Desitin in business the past three weeks.

Despite her poopy woes, Naomi is just juicy. In the mornings, when Nicholas and Sophia are at school and it's just me and Naomi hanging out at home, I just want to bottle her up--her smell, her laughs and smiles, her giggles, and jiggly cheeks and thighs--and save it for a day when she's all grown up. She rolls around and eats everything she can get her hands on. She listens for Nicholas and Sophia and looks for them the second she hears them. I love that in the mornings, Nicholas and Sophia listen for Naomi and bolt into see her the second they hear her. Sophia sings to her all the time and calls her Chubby Cheeks. Nicholas loves to hold her and make her laugh. Yes, it's a jolly holiday with Gnomers. Gnomers is the one we love.

1 comments:

lissiemarie said...

love your blog! makes me laugh! glad to see all is well and three beautiful children.

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates